An apartment move is coming up for you and you’re feeling nervous and restless – does that ring a bell? Well, you really don’t have to be, apartment moving in the United States is a very common affair and can easily be handled by the online movers and packers who have a national network.
Moving apartments can often be a stressful occasion for everybody, however stress can be significantly minimized by following certain rules.
1. About a month before moving apartments take an inspection tour of your current apartment to make a list of things to be discarded, given away to charity or sold through a pre-move garage sale, or on the internet. Ask for references from your doctor and dentists for your new location and transfer your personal insurance and school records. This is also a good time to prepare any house plants you might have for transfer.
2. After another week goes by plan out your food usage so that you use up all perishable food items. Bring “change of address” forms from the post office and fill up one form for each person likely to receive mail at your address. This is also a good time to train pets for travel, and to teach them to adjust to temporary confinement. Movers will not accept flammables, corrosives and explosives like firearms and ammunition, so drain all fuel tanks like those on lawnmowers and also disconnect batteries from appliances you are unlikely to use before you are moving apartments.
3. Two weeks to go before you move? This is the time to decide which items will be self packed and which will be packed by your movers. Simultaneously draw up a floor plan of your new apartment and plan out how you will place your furniture. Return things that you may have borrowed including library books and collect those you have loaned. Bring out items from cold storage and dry cleaning.Ask your bank to transfer your credit accoun t or close it. Arrange for disconnection of utilities. Don’t forget to make your travel arrangements. birger dehne
4. With just a week left for moving apartments reconfirm your travel details. Collect maps and other things you might need to help you with your travel plans. Arrange to pay the movers for services right at the time of delivery. Get your telephone service ready in your new apartment and get the one at the old one disconnected. It is a good time to transfer bank account details and start packing suitcases and necessary medicines.
5. The last day before you move start crossing out your checklist to see if you have covered all points. Complete packing suitcases and pack an “essentials” package where you can put the items you are likely to need first once at your new address. Toiletries, cleaners, coffee pot, emergency medicines etc. on this day you also need to clean and defrost your fridge.
If you have everything well planned out, then on the day of move, you should feel relaxed. Your final job before you leave is to check the door and windows are locked, hand over the keys to the proper person and ensure the lights are all out. While the inventory of the household objects is made be with the movers’ representatives and sign the bill of lading. Then you are all ready to make the big move and start your new life in your new apartment